[nagdu] How often

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Jun 27 14:53:12 UTC 2015

Hi Raven.

I don't think weight control is the reason schools recommend working a dog
every day.  I think it's the "A tired dog is a good dog" principle.  These
are intelligent, energetic animals, bred to work.  It's not the same as in
the days when the majority of guides were shepherds, but retrievers and
shepherds alike  still need things to do, or they will find things to do
their human may not like.  And I think there's nothing my dog would rather
do than get out and work with his human.  I've gotten a strong feeling from
my dogs that they think I'm better off when they're with me.  "What do you
mean you're going out without me!  That's not right!"  I wonder if they want
to feel useful to their pack.  Though I'm not sure that usefulness is a dog
concept.  I do know that Krokus and I both are better for getting out of the
house and taking a walk, unless the weather is horrible.

Tracy