[nagdu] Guide Dog as Therapy Dog

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 17:27:54 UTC 2015

				Our library has this same program.
I bring my daughters to it and they enjoy reading to the dogs, at least the
older one does, my toddler just likes looking at the dogs and getting to pet
them.
My background is engineering so I'm not an English professor of any sort.
What you need to do is be willing to listen to the kids read and help with
vocabulary. I do this by listening to the sentence and if they stumble over
a word help them figure out what it might be. I also point out that
everybody gets stuck ona word and explain the tools used to sort it out.
I'm not clear if these people are concerned about your dog or about you or
some combination of the two. You're not really teaching the kids, just
providing a supportive environment for them.
My approach would be to call these folks on the phone or go see them in
person, basically become human to them. See if they need your dog to pass
any requirements to prove it can be a good citizen, being a guide dog may
not answer the mail on this one.
Your other option is to see who gives this organization the right to do what
they do (their boss essentially) and talk to them. They do seem like they
are being very hostile and I'm not sure why. I think you need to explain to
them outside of the English professor scope that your brain still works and
how you'd help the kids with reading within the scope of this organization.