[nagdu] Cooling vest?

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Tue Jun 30 14:02:49 UTC 2015

85 to 90 might be all right for a dog that hasn't just worked through a winter where temps dipped to -35 - -40 degrees (either C or F), and where temps don't usually get much over 70 in the summer.

But, here in Alberta, winter coats can get quite thick, and summer coats can be proportionately thicker than warmer, southern climates.

For instance, my guide was raised and trained in California, and his coat was normal for that region when I took him North.  But, after one winter, his coat was probably three times thicker than when I brought him home.

Now, in the summer, when temps get up over 70, I have to bring water bottles wherever I go and wet his neck, shoulders and back in order to keep him comfortable.

In fact, his coat is so thick, I don't even worry about a cooling vest, I just soak him down and let the water evaporate from his coat.

Regards,
Dudley, with Michener