[nagdu] Fw: Proposed Act Regarding Service Dogs fromthe stateof Maine.

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Mon Mar 2 15:11:39 UTC 2015

I, for one, have a difficult time considering a dog that's wagging its tail
as being "out of control."  And, I doubt many judges would as well.

As for the child snagging a dessert, it all depends on the situation.

If I'm in a restaurant and I let my child run wild, and that child runs over
and snags a dessert off a dessert tray that's behind a counter, or in some
other way reasonably remote, then I'd agree, and I'd pay for my poor
judgement.

But, if a waiter comes over to my table, and I have a very young child
sitting in a highchair or booster seat, and the waiter plops a tray full of
desserts down right in front of the child, then I'm afraid I'd have trouble
paying for anything my child might stick his or her fingers into, as the
waiter has a responsibility to keep his product safe and secure, and no
toddler is perfect.

I'd also have trouble paying for any dessert that my Guide might snag if a
waiter, for whatever reason, stood by my table holding a tray full of
goodies right beside my dog's nose, although I find it difficult to imagine
how that might happen.

It all boils down to details.

Customers have certain responsibilities, as do business owners and their
staff.

My pet peeve is going into a shop full of breakables in order to find a
gift, and trying to navigate narrow isles full of this stuff on tipsy
stands.

As a large blind person with a large Guide, I'm not going to pay for
something that breaks because my arm bumps into it because it has been
deliberately placed in a position that forces itself into the line of a
sighted persons vision, but also situates it in a way that it is difficult
for me to get around without bumping into it.

Or, because too many shelves have been crowded into too small a space in
order for the store owner to maximize his or her inventory.

Or, because my wife came in to join me and my dog wagged its tail and
breakables have been placed in vulnerable locations.

If damage occurs because of something I should have foreseen or could have
averted by simply using common sense, then I'm at fault and should pay.

But, if damage occurs because of something I have no control over and could
not have averted by acting more prudently, then I won't open my wallet.

If blind persons are to be considered as full members in society, then
business owners need to recognize that maximizing their profits cannot  take
precedence over our sensory deficiency.

Regards,
Dudley, with Michener