[nagdu] Fw: Proposed Act Regarding ServiceDogs fromthe stateof Maine.

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Mon Mar 2 19:05:36 UTC 2015

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that, even if a blind person takes
reasonable care and exercises prudence, bad things can happen.  And, in such
cases, why should the blind person be automatically held responsible,
especially if the business owner or an employee is not acting responsibly
his- or herself?

The dog in the china shop is an obvious example, a dog scarfing down a
dessert is somewhat more problematic, as we should be working hard to keep
our dogs in training so they don't eat food outside of their dish.  But,
here's my best scenario:

Let's say that my wife and I are in a restaurant and we're enjoying
ourselves.  In such a case, I try to keep my dog under the table where he
won't be in the way, and he will be easier for me to monitor.

But, if we are seated at a table-for-two, then there likely isn't enough
room for him there, so he could end up in the aisle, laying quietly on the
floor next to my chair.

Now, my Guides have tended to border on the psychic side, in that they are
really good at picking up queues as to when we are leaving.  I mean,
sometimes I just think to myself, "Well, I guess, it's time to get going..."
And, bang, my Guide has either sat up beside me, or risen to his feet.

The problem is that, sometimes, when I'm thinking it's time to go, the
waiter is doing his or her best to sell me something more, like a dessert.

So, here's the scene:

I'm thinking it's time to get going, and my Guide picks up on that, and, at
the same time, a waiter is approaching the table with a tray full of
desserts he wants to temp my wife and I with.

My Guide sits up, and, since he is 29 inches tall, his head rises above most
tables when he is sitting.

Now, the waiter steps up to the table and slides the tray out in front of
himself, at snout level for my Guide, and starts gesturing to each dessert
as he tries to sell some more product, all the while wobbling the tray
around in front of my Guides nose and pointing to stuff like each is a great
treat for a hard-working pooch.

All the while, I don't know the tray is in close proximity to my Guide's
mouth, and I'm in a hurry and don't want to buy anything more anyway.

So, I finally get the guy's attention long enough to say, "Nothing for me;
can you just bring the bill?"

Then, it happens, for whatever reason, my Guide caves, and gives into
temptation, scarfing something off the tray.

Now, who is really responsible?

Is it me, simply because the dog is my Guide and should be trained well
enough not to give in?

Or, is it the waiter's fault because he should not have put that tray close
to any dog's nose, regardless of how well trained the dog is?  After all, if
there is something chocolate on that tray, and there very well could be, it
could have fatal results for my Guide.

The point is, we as handlers need to do our share to make sure our Guides
are well-trained and behaving properly, but it is up to others to act
responsibly around all animals.

All too often, I've been in situations where sighted people have done things
to test my Guide, to see if these guide dogs are really as well trained as
everybody believes.

I remember in particular once, in a food court, when my son (who was six at
the time) and I were having lunch.  Another couple and their child sat at
the table next to us.

Unbeknownst to me, the mother took one of the paper bags her food had come
in and blew it up, and then she reached over and popped it right next to my
Guide to see if it would just lie there quietly.

My Guide, a female shepherd, was startled and jumped up, and I had to act
very quickly to keep her close and settle her down.

I was livid, and I told the couple as much.

Now, back to the restaurant, While the waiter is doing his job, if he gets
curious as to whether  my Guide really will ignore food, and subjects my
Guide to an irresistible temptation, why should I have to pay for it when I
just wanted to get going?

And, from the business owner's perspective, why would he want to alienate a
customer because his employee didn't know enough to keep food away from a
dog's mouth?  To me, that's not good business.

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree on this with many on
the group.

Take Care,
Dudley, with Michener