[nagdu] Rant on fake service dogs, responsibility, and owner trainers

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Mar 3 14:25:27 UTC 2015

Raven,

LOL  Did I mention I homeschool my son?  It really is a lot the same as
owner training.  I don't have to know  all the answers, but I sure better
have some resources who do.    And just like owner training, homeschool has
been a wonderful experience!  It's hard at times, but the challenge is what
makes it so rewarding.

On a different tangent...when I was in Alaska on vacation a few years ago,
there are a lot of dogs out and about with their people.  They are almost
all mutts and they all do actual work or accompany their owners while they
work.  Rarely were any of them on leashes.  They were not in restaurants or
being passed off as service dogs.  They were just dogs going and doing
things with their owners.  They were without exception very well behaved.
No jumping up, no barking, no begging for food and the owners had complete
control with only verbal commands and maybe hand signals.

I wonder if it's a regional thing?  For example I rarely get asked the legal
questions and have only once been asked for ID.  There are no fake service
dogs, that I know of in my general area where I go most often, including the
other cities around here.  But it is also very solidly accepted that dogs
have jobs.  A lot of dogs are used for hunting, herding, general farm use
and even my tiny town has a police dog. Most of the dogs are pets, but it's
rare that dogs are kept in dog purses or otherwise used as fashion
accessories here.  Dogs seem to be treated more like dogs and I'm wondering
if that is why I have less access issues?

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com