[nagdu] Bad Dogs And The Law

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 22:43:10 UTC 2015

Sandra,
This post is very powerful. Despite the fact that I knew about some of what
you experienced with the other guide dog handler and your needing to move,
it still makes me nuts with rage. I don't know the answer to any of this,
but I think we need to change the paradygme whereby the only recourse we
have is to file a complaint under the ADA, a process I have been through and
which I believe to be thoroughly flawed.

There was a time when you could call the local police and they would set
people straight, but with the ADA, the buck gets passed totally away from
any local intervention. One example is a case in Texas that DOJ decided to
take to court last spring. It involved a disabled vet with a service dog,
who wanted to rent a room for his family (6 kids, if I remember). The motel
operator refused to let him stay, he called the police, and all they did was
escort him to the nearest Best Western where they got a room. It's accepted
that the local police don't even bother, and if they tried, what teeth do
they have. These situations should be handled on the spot, not 2 years
later, as mine was.

I must also say that I am getting sick and tired of it all being placed on
our shoulders to "educate the public." The ADA will be 25 years old and
things are worse than they were when I got my first dog in '71. It's a
complaint-driven law, designed to put the responsibility for enforcement on
the people theoretically needing the protection. No one is going to get the
message till we make it so painful for them to disregard our rights that
they have no interest in a second incident. Doing that one establishment at
a time is ridiculous. Some of these incidents, such as yours, are far more
damaging to people than minor fender-benders, but the cops are all over
them.

Anyway, end of rant. I'm glad you're away from that place you used to live,
but you should have had help from the people who were there. As for the
schools, my experience is that they like to sweep things under the rug. I
wrote to GDF and was blown off rather rudely, IMO.
Donna & Hunter