[nagdu] pets on a train

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Mar 6 17:54:35 UTC 2015

Buddy,

A lot of businesses, at least around my former stomping grounds and
somewhat even here, are solving the "fake" service dog problem by taking
the "No" off the signs on their doors. Pets allowed! Problem solved. Or
at least, problem eased. Mostly what I read and hear about the trend is
loud squalling from those who are sure it will all end in fire, but I
would have to dig for information to find out what the actual results
are for the businesses in question. Someday, when I'm back to being
involved more outside of family stuff, I'll ask around. Asking store
managers or owners as I'm walking in with my guide wouldn't result in
useful answers, but if I'm hanging with said manager or owner at a
meeting, the subject can come up naturally and I can listen. I wonder if
there are statistics of the before and after variety somewhere to use in
future decision making? I doubt it.

During the time I've trained and worked Mitzi, I've been generally in
dog-friendly areas, with dog friendly businesses, and the pets have been
generally well-behaved. A lot of them are as perfectly behaved and
well-mannered as the mythical guide dog that never even has a hair out
of place, let alone a manner. Those that do slip up are dealt with as
quickly and easily as service dogs with responsible handlers.
Occasionally, two dogs will take a dislike and express it vocally, so
the owners deal with that and keep the dogs away from each other, so it
doesn't turn into anything and is no big deal. Or someone's dog will be
real excitable that day and can't settle down and stop bouncing, so they
take the dog home, and it's no big deal and everyone else can just go on
with shopping.

So that strongly influences my thinking on the matter of pets in stores
or on transportation. My version of utopia involves lots of dogs and
even other pets everywhere! As for my working dog... If she can't work
in the real world, then I need a working dog who can. So we did a lot of
dog distraction training at Home Depot. /lol/ No Home Depot here, so
I'll have to improvise with Loki to get him used to minding his manners
with other dogs around in stores before moving up to places where the
only dog he's likely to encounter will be another working dog.

Maybe in other places, it's true that all pets are horrible dirty
monsters, as I keep hearing they are. In places where that is true, if
it is, letting those pets into businesses would probably be a bad thing.
In other places, it's a neutral thing or a good thing.

Tami