[nagdu] Oregon's proposal

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sat Mar 7 15:49:11 UTC 2015

I believe we should pay for any damages caused by our dogs.  If I
choose to go into a place where there is a lot of breakables, open
food items and other obstacles to my dog I need to be very sure my dog
is under control.  I have been in many of these places over the past
25 years of dog handling and have only had 2 issues and that was with
candy bars at a check out counter.  I offered to pay for the candy bar
my dog picked up and, in both cases, the checker refused to charge me
for it.  I gave it back to them because my dog did not leave any marks
on it.  We do need to be in control of our dogs and our children.
That goes for anyone who takes service animals or pets into a place.
If I went to a place where there was a person or another animal
creating a challenge for my dog, my first step would be to remove my
dog.  I would deal with the situation once things have calmed down.
If I stay in that situation I could heighten the problems and would be
partially responsible for the outcome. That does not mean I am giving
in, just choosing to get things calm before addressing the issue.
Luckily, I have never been in this situation.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053