[nagdu] A narrow escape

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Mar 11 18:00:50 UTC 2015

Tracy,

I'm so glad Krokus is okay! That fact that you wouldn't have had a way
to know about the pain patch until it was too late is just terrifying.

I started using a head collar for indoor public access training with
Mitzi, and now it's part of her regular kit simply because it lets me
know what her head is doing. It's not for correction, as you probably
know, but I have used it with a firm, steady pull to stop her in the
act. I loop the skinny leash attached to the GL over my little finger,
so I can feel her head move and redirect proactively, at least most of
the time. I can also twitch the finger to remind her to keep her nose
within legal limits. If I do want to pull her head around, I can use my
free hand for a firm, steady pull.

The head on the foot is a good idea, too. To be honest, I trained Mitzi
to go properly under the seat at the bus stop, then on the bus... Then I
began searching for other ways to meet the goal of keeping her safely
out of the way and unobtrusive without getting all nasty sticky and
having who knows what right under her nose while she's just lying there
with nothing to do but be tempted by it. /shudder/ I miss public
transit, but I don't miss that part of it. Having her sit between my
feet worked in a lot of places, and keeping her head on my foot worked
well in others. It seemed to depend on crowding and bus/train car
design. They had at least a couple of different models in service over
in Portland, so finding a seat and figuring out where to put the dog was
always interesting, even when things weren't crowded.

Loki is big into memory foam, but so far he hasn't managed to ingest
any, except possibly a couple of little pieces. He once had a nice pile
of bits of memory foam piled on the bed, so we developed a firm policy
of keeping the memory foam pillows where he can't get them unless we're
actually sleeping on them. Scary. His pillow shredding phase seems to
have evolved into a pillow cuddling and mouthing phase... If we both
forget to put the pillows away, Loki will bring me one in the office and
make sure I notice him, so that works. Whew!

Glad Krokus is still with us. Let us know if you learn any new miracle
cures for scavenging in a young dog.

Tami