[nagdu] A narrow escape -pain patches and setting a dog up to work on eating off the floor

Dailyah dailyahpatt at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 21:45:37 UTC 2015

I'm just going to throw this out there.  I know that people can be flat out trashy, but I want to propose that something like a pain patch was probably an accident.  Those aren't the kind of things that a person is likely to just take of on the bus and stick underneath the seat like gum!  Ewww!. Usually they go on places that'd be both awkward and weird to be taking off in public - most people keep them covered by clothes.  They can certainly fall off and then they're usually found either loose inside or stuck to the inside of one's shirt. Most people I know will try to stick it back on if they find it in their shirt or having fallen off because they're unsure just when it came off and ya really want to get every last bit out of those things. Also, when they truly fall off it's usually because they've been on awhile and the medicine in them is about gone - NOT that I'm not thankful the dog is safe!  Please don't think that. Oh my - I'm just trying for the benefit of the doubt and know pain patches just aren't like the needle someone said a jerk purposely left on the bus.  I mean, if you're out and you have a pain patch on while you're out you're probably wanting the darn thing to stay on and be working the entire time you're out so that you don't start having pain problems while out (Just saying)...not to mention that they usually aren't prescribed where someone would be taking it off partway through their day and slapping another one on.  People on serious meds for pain are usually doing some kind of pain management program.  The medical people talk about predicting for and preparing for your pain.  Planning your days to maximize the effectiveness of a minimal amount of meds.  All that stuff.  Pain patches are a precious commodity for people with that level of pain.  The needle - no excuse. Let's hope none of us ever catch that person!  The pain patch - probably a freak accident.  I know it doesn't make things any "better", but at least maybe we can all retain a little bit of faith in humanity.
Sorry, I just keep thinking about it and wanted to speak up.
I had a service dog who would eat off the floor BIG TIME...but only when I was in the other room and out of sight did he think he could get away with it.  Very frustrating.  It was suggested that I set him up to sneak some food and be ready to bust him when he fell for it.  Might be helpful for some of you.  I'm sighted, but it seems like it should be doable since it's hearing reliant. I ended up doing it two ways so I could also proof to make sure there wasn't counter surfing going on. (Which there was!  Sigh!) First Intentionally leave out something yummy that was crunchy.  That way I could leave the room with a squirt bottle in hand and wait for him to fall for my little trap.  As soon as I heard him crunching (kibble worked), I popped around the corner and advanced on him firing water mixed with apple cider vinegar while giving a "voice of death" Don't!  He started sneezing and generally found it all unpleasant.  A few times of this in different rooms and places and he decided I could see around corners or something and he pretty much stopped. (I was able to have people plant traps for me, too!)  I had to do this every once in awhile (6-12 mos) after that first few times just to see if he'd go for it so I could reinforce to him that I had all-knowing superpowers.  For the counter, I put something yummy on a cookie sheet balanced so that it fell if it was messed with.  I'd walk out and not go TOO far then come swooping in when I heard the cookie sheet clatter.  The clattering also is a sound they don't like so even that begins the correction.  It can take some patience while waiting for them to fall for your trap, but you only have to really bust them a couple of times.  Dogs can be such sneaky stinkers!  Usually we want to set ourselves and our dogs up to succeed, but eating things off the ground is one where setting them up to fail at times when you are prepared can work well.  Just a thought.  Worked well for us.
Stay safe out there!Dailyah and Riley