[nagdu] Barking again...

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Mar 14 02:07:37 UTC 2015

Daryl,

It's tough when you can't identify the trigger or triggers. Is she doing
just a single woof when she does bark? Do you notice other body
language? Does she seem anxious or stressed or anything different? The
waking up bark does sound like a startle reflex, so do other occurrences
come from being startled? Hm... Poodles tend to let out a bark when
startled, and Mitzi has done so. I'm trying to get Loki conditioned
early on being quiet and maybe doing another alert behavior to cut down
on the likelihood he will do it in harness. I'll let you know in a
couple of years if it worked. :)

I'm finding that going around with someone who is also working on
barking with her dog is really helpful. She can be my people spotter...
And bike spotter and skateboard spotter and... It helps to know early
that a trigger is nearby, it really does. Is there a chance you can find
someone to hang out at bus stops with you and just be observant? Well,
you would have to find time, as well. Hm...

Another thing to observe might be details of your own reaction, like
tone of voice when you speak to her, other body language and actions. I
dunno. I get uptight over certain misbehaviors and give wrong signals to
my dog, so it all goes downhill. If I remember to breathe normally and
remind myself it's just stuff to deal with, I can just deal with it and
Mitzi and I can go on with our lives. Usually. Since the poodle bark is
a high-alert thing, it's important for me to be all calm and la-di-da
when I would sorta like to strangle the dog. /lol/ I learned that late
with Mitzi, so we went through a real rough patch before we got it
turned around. Aargh!

I think keeping track and finding a pattern is the best idea and may at
least help find what her motivation is. Sometimes a stern reminder is
the best approach, sometimes you have to be more creative.

A really good technique is to turn the dog's head away from what it's
barking at, which is usually also what it's looking at. This breaks the
concentration and also is a form of negative reinforcement, since the
dog tends to want to look at whatever it is. You can also get a feel for
tension level. It does help to keep my voice low and firm when I give
the quiet command and to praise in the same way. When the dog relaxes
under my hand and I can feel the throat relax into quiet, I can let the
dog look at the thing-a-ma-jig as an added reward... Then if the dog
barks again, I can turn its head again and work on quiet... This isn't
the approach I take in every situation, so I can't remember exactly what
it worked well on with Mitzi.

Good luck getting it sorted!

Tami