[nagdu] NO BARKING TODAY!!!!!!!

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 18 01:35:11 UTC 2015

Donna,

Thanks!  This is exceptionally bizarre, because I am a first-time handler, and been partnered with Jenny for only 18 months.  I'm generally a bit of a worrier, but her medical symptoms were so minor in scope (occasionally licking her nether-regions, occasionally scratching a bit more, occasionally letting out a little whimper) that until the barking behavior showed up, especially to someone she knows THAT well, coupled with the left-side sensitivity, I never once even considered looking into them.

After a VERY frustrating ten days, I am happy to say that Jenny overall seems happier now that she is on her meds.  I am glad that my vet took me seriously and did the blood work, and wanted to make sure the Benadryl was doing its job (which it is).

Now, if the barking IS a behavioral issue, I feel more confident that I can address it since it appears coinciding medical issues are being addressed.

Daryl

----- Original Message ----- From: Applebutter Hill <applebutterhill at gmail.com> To: 'Daryl Marie' <crazymusician at shaw.ca>, 'NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users' <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Sent: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:57:44 -0600 (MDT) Subject: RE: [nagdu] NO BARKING TODAY!!!!!!!  Daryl, Yea:) I'm so happy and relieved. It's hard for a girl to deal when she's not feeling up to snuff. You should be proud of yourself for going with your gut and getting her to the vet. And, it's a lesson in just how close and tuned in to her you are. I had an old vet (as in he was ready to retire) back in the early '80s, who used to tell a story about being a student at Penn Vet Med back prior to WWII. His professor told them that, if a blind person came in with their guide dog and said there was something wrong with the dog, and if you as a vet couldn't find anything, then you should keep looking. ' Blessings, Donna & Hunter -----Original Message----- From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Daryl Marie via nagdu Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:55 PM To: nagdu at nfbnet.org Subject: [nagdu] NO BARKING TODAY!!!!!!! I want to throw the biggest party right now! All day, Jenny didn't bark at anything or anyone, the first time in nearly 10 days of daily barking in harness! Her scavenging has increased slightly, but with the melt on, that's not unusual, and I can work on it. She is looking around a lot, but doesn't seem to be fixated on any one thing. Before anyone says this is just chance: she had no fewer than six people approach her on her left side while we were waiting for the bus this afternoon - from in front, from behind, with carts, wagons, what have you. Previously, at least one of these would warrant a stand-up and "Woof!" and all she did was turn her head and look as they passed. The relief I feel is so immense, I can't even tell you! Even if the behavior continues occasionally, at least it's something I can deal with :) Daryl and the quiet Jenny _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/applebutterhill%40gmail.c om