[nagdu] collars

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Thu Mar 19 13:45:40 UTC 2015

Maria, where did you get your dog?  Do you have a problem with wild
dogs in Slovakia?

Leader Dogs now gives out the Martingale collar.  It is still a "choke
chain" but has cloth on it. Leader Dogs does not use a leash
correction for discipline in most situations.  They teach us to use
other techniques.  It is challenging for those of us who have had dogs
for many years but it does work.  I am glad to see the schools change
with the times.
On 3/19/15, Mária Orovčíková <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Pam,
> I am Maria from Slovakia (Central Europe) with guide Dog Demi - black lab.
> The school give us a collar, short leash, flexy leash and a harness of
> course.
> Some dog handlers are given gentle lead.
> By the way, what is slip collar like?
> I think we have it here, just not sure what type of collar it is.
> Thanks.
> With kind regards
> Maria
> On 19. 3. 2015 12:31, Pam via nagdu wrote:
>> nice to meet u. u r the first guide dog owner i've met from sweeden. what
>> sort of dog do u have?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 19 Mar 2015, at 11:25, Leye-Shprintse Öberg via nagdu
>>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> BS'D
>>>
>>> Pam,
>>>
>>> I'm from Sweden and here it depends on what the dog's instructor has
>>> used. Every guide dog handler gets a 'play collar', but my regular collar
>>> was a slip collar. Today, I use a martinale collar when we're working and
>>> my dog wears a flat collar otherwise.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Lesholom,
>>> Leye-Shprintse Öberg
>>> Stockholm, Suède
>>> leyeshprintse at ymail.com
>>> http://leyeshprintse.com
>>> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>>>
>>> Le 19 mar 2015 à 10:09, Pam via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> a écrit :
>>>
>>> hi everyone. i am just curious as to what sort of collars u get from your
>>> schools for your dogs? here in ireland we get a half check collar and
>>> also a play collar which is just a nylon collar with a bell attached for
>>> when the dog is having a run in the park or whatever. for those of u that
>>> use the half checks do u leave them on the dog all the time? also which
>>> type of half check do u use the 1 that slips over the head or the 1 with
>>> the quick release clip? here we r given the type that slip over tha head.
>>> thanks :)
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/maria.orovcikova%40gmail.com

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA