[nagdu] loves working, but hates work!

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 19 16:52:21 UTC 2015

Rox,

Donna beat me to the punch... is work boring for her? stressful? what have you?  Have never encountered this myself, so shotting blanks here.

Is there also possibly something on those two blocks that is making her uneasy?  Construction, broken glass and homeless people are just popping into my head.  Is it possible to ask someone sighted at work if there's anything like that?

Hope you get this squared away!

Daryl

----- Original Message ----- From: Applebutter Hill via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> To: 'The Pawpower Pack' <pawpower4me at gmail.com>, 'NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users' <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Sent: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:42:22 -0600 (MDT) Subject: Re: [nagdu] loves working, but hates work!  Rox, Sounds like she simply doesn't want to go to that location; I don't think from what you said that she's slowing down out of tiredness. I'm wondering if there is something about the work environment that she doesn't like. Maybe she needs a soft bed to lie on, a toy to occupy her or more pats during the day to make her feel like she's still a help to you. Donna & Hunter -----Original Message----- From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of The Pawpower Pack via nagdu Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:56 AM To: the National Association of Guide Dog Users NAGDU Mailing List Subject: [nagdu] loves working, but hates work! Good Morning, I'm hoping to pick y'all's brains on an issue I'm having with Soleil, that I've not had with any other dog. She loves working, Is excited for the harness, and goes at a great speed- fast- and with a nice firm pull. Except... for the last 2 blocks before I get to my office in the morning. We walk between a mile to three miles before work daily, depending on if we take the fixed route bus or walk the whole way, then we walk that same amount after work, plus we frequently do canicross and or bikejoring/scooterjoring in addition. So she's not lacking in exercise. But the 2 blocks before work, she goes at a crawl! I mean my grandma could outwalk her. I cannot change up the route of those last 2 blocks because my office is on the levee so is bordered by warehouses etc. This is the only way to get to work on these last 2 blocks. I've tried cheerleading her along, and stopping for a break and getting her all amped up, and nothing! Once we arrive at work, she seems happy, but those last 2 blocks are torture. She's a lab, so I've thought of bringing out my treat pouch, but am open to suggestions. I will not correct her for it because even if she were trained with this method, it would just slow her down even more, because that's just how she is. Any thoughts? Thanks!  Rox and the kitchen Bitches: Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil Pawpower4me at gmail.com Sent from my iPhone _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/applebutterhill%40gmail.c om  _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/crazymusician%40shaw.ca