[nagdu] collars

Leye-Shprintse Öberg leyeshprintse at ymail.com
Thu Mar 19 18:16:29 UTC 2015

BS'D

Marianne,

We don't have a guide dog school in Sweden anymore. It's complicated, our dogs are paid for by tax money, we get them for free, and our dogs are owned by the Swedish Association of the Visually Impaired's Guide Dog Authority which gives the handler a right of disposion to the dog. They purchase guide dogs from schools in Sweden and Norway right now. But we get all support from them and not from the schools. I don't think it's a good system.

So it works like this, (I'm sorry for my bad English.) Before I received my dog I applied to the Guide Dog Authority who gave me a right of disposion to a guide dog. The Authority purchase 40 dogs every year from guide dog schools in Sweden and Norway and their instructors (who do the final test with the dogs) match the dogs with the handlers on paper and then they call the applicant and inform her/he that she/he has been matched. Sometimes, you get the dog's trainer as instructor at the Basic Course 1, but you're not always that lucky. If you get problems you contact the Authority's instructors for help and we also get our vet bills paid for. However, I don't think this is good, I don't have any contact with my dog's trainer or (very little) with the Authority. My next dog will not come from them that's sure. You can go through the school directly but then it cost around 250 000 SvK (25 000 Euros), a lot of money.

I don't know if this was understandable? I'm tired.

Kind regards,
LeSholom,
Leye-Shprintse Öberg
Stockholm, Suède
leyeshprintse at ymail.com
http://leyeshprintse.com
Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 19 mar 2015 à 14:47, Marianne Denning <marianne at denningweb.com> a écrit :

Is there a guide dog school in Sweden?  If so, what is the name?  We
have an exchange student from Bosnia who has a brother and sister in
Sweden.

> On 3/19/15, Leye-Shprintse Öberg <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> BS'D
>
> Pam,
>
> I'm from Sweden and here it depends on what the dog's instructor has used.
> Every guide dog handler gets a 'play collar', but my regular collar was a
> slip collar. Today, I use a martinale collar when we're working and my dog
> wears a flat collar otherwise.
>
> Kind regards,
> Lesholom,
> Leye-Shprintse Öberg
> Stockholm, Suède
> leyeshprintse at ymail.com
> http://leyeshprintse.com
> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
> Le 19 mar 2015 à 10:09, Pam via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> a écrit :
>
> hi everyone. i am just curious as to what sort of collars u get from your
> schools for your dogs? here in ireland we get a half check collar and also a
> play collar which is just a nylon collar with a bell attached for when the
> dog is having a run in the park or whatever. for those of u that use the
> half checks do u leave them on the dog all the time? also which type of half
> check do u use the 1 that slips over the head or the 1 with the quick
> release clip? here we r given the type that slip over tha head. thanks :)
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053