[nagdu] Reasons for choosing a particular guy dog school

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:10:12 UTC 2015

I attended Guiding Eyes in Ny State because
1. GEB doesn't put out dogs any earlier than 23 months.
I was advised by a close friend to only get an adult dog, especially
since I had never had a pet dog before. He told me that adolescent
dogs were more of a handful, and so I should choose a school that
doesn't turn out adolescents. Handling an even-tempered, physically
and mentally sound adult dog would be easier on me since I wasn't
familiar with handling dogs in the first place. This was even more
important because I was picky about only getting a golden retriever.
2. their veterinary financial assistance programs.
All GEB grads are guaranteed $200 per year. They get an additional
$100 if they complete a health and work report on their dog, and their
dog is within 10 lbs of their target weight. Also, there is a one-time
emergency fund for graduates. Fortunately, I don't need this
assistance anymore, but at the time, it was necessary.
3. I overglamorized the idea of a dog trained in Manhattan.
Obviously, GEB's dogs spend most of their training in an urban area
outside of NYC. And obviously, you can get a dog trained for urban
life from any school. At the time, I lived in a high-traffic, go-go-go
urban area, and I figured if a dog could handle NYC, he could handle
anything. So I was more attracted to a school in New York. It seems
silly now, but it was part of my decision-making process nearly 3
years ago.
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs