[nagdu] choosing a particular breed and reasons why?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Mar 21 18:16:12 UTC 2015

Well, I've had a German Shepherd yen since I saw Atta Girl, Kelly when I
was 8 or 9, so not long after I was diagnosed with RP. Suddenly, the
part where I would be going blind at some point in the unimaginable
future had a bright side! I still think a German Shepherd from the
Seeing Eye is the end all and be all somehow.

When I was getting to the point where I was using the cane full time and
preparing to go about getting a guide dog, I met a magnificent doberman
guide and had to have one. I still think having a big old doberman guide
is the end all and be all!

So I have a poodle... Make that 2 poodles. My former husband was
allergic to every dang thing, so I had looked into schools that produced
poodles and researched the breed. Then I divorced the husband, but I had
noticed that people with poodles just light up when they talk about
their dogs. I still had trouble viewing the silly things with their
fru-fru styles as real dogs, but people who had them really were
enthralled with them. I had a friend with a very nice toy poodle, the
sort that is just like a standard only teensy, and he was a great
fellow. So when I divorced all those allergies, I didn't scratch poodle
from my list.

When I was looking for a dog to owner-train, I considered the pros and
cons of each breed and kept coming back to poodle for a couple of
reasons. One was the non-shedding and perception of being
hypoallergenic. I didn't want to go around hearing about allergies,
believe me! I was also just starting to lose my central vision and new
to that level of blindness, so I wondered how I would do at handling a
dog in the city and around lots of people. I knew I could learn, but I
thought that doing so with a breed that doesn't scare people might be
easier on the nerves all around. I was still mulling when I called a
couple of poodle breeders and hit it off with a woman who had an older
pup she wanted to find a home for who would give me a price break and
accept payments. We had been discussing a large male from another
litter, since I thought a large male poodle would be just the thing. I
was nattering on about how I was looking for a good companion dog and
also one that would fit with a guide when I got one and if the poodle
happened to have the right stuff I might just train it to be a guide
and... She interrupted, "I have just the dog for you." So a few months
later, she arrived on my doorstep with a 7-month-old small black female
and my fate was sealed. She made a gift of the dog at that time, so that
was awesome.

This time around, I was trending strongly towards doberman, moreso since
I have learned more about them and how they are as guides. They seem to
have a lot of the traits I value most in Mitzi without the nonsense
factor and grooming expense. Also, after going around with an adorable
poodle for all these years, I was wanting something dangerous! Well, at
least something that wouldn't be mugged all the time because it's an
adorable fashion accessory, after all. My husband kept voting strongly
for poodle, wanting another Mitzi, so it was hard to argue with that.
/smile/ So I decided to call the same breeder and see what she had
available. She's doing labradoodles now, and I nearly ended up with a
red 3/4 poodle, but the plan to get the pup into my hands fell through.
She had a pure poodle coming to her as pick of the litter for a stud fee
and offered me that, so I went for it. The sire is kin to Mitzi and
about her size, and the mother is also around 50 pounds, so I thought a
small male would be fine. We talked long about health and temperament
and all that, since temperament was the number one selection factor. I
did get the pup with the perfect temperament, which just happened to be
the throwback to really big ancestors. So I have a large black male
poodle this time. He's getting into adolescence by now and at nearly 11
months is 60 pounds and 24 inches, so we're going to have some
adventures. He's still ridiculously well-behaved and hasn't discovered
true defiance yet, though I think the notion is beginning to tickle his
imagination. I've done a lot of pondering about the best gear to use
when we're out and about so that I can keep physical control of him for
when his brains fall out because he must chase that squirrel across the
street, and I'm feeling comfortable now with what I've come up with.
Whew! I won't be disappointed if I never have to hold firm against his
full strength, but I really do want him to survive adolescence and would
hate to lose him because I wasn't prepared. Beyond that concern, I'm
really looking forward to working with his adult self as a guide.

Tami