[nagdu] From what school did you get your dog?

Bryan Gearry bgearry at alaskafrontier.net
Mon Mar 23 17:34:34 UTC 2015

My Guide came from the Guide Dog Foundation. He is a large (size) Golden
Retreiver. Since I live in Alaska, GDF tailored trained him for dealing
with this type of life style. We use boats and airplanes a lot for
transportation. When I got him, he had no problems jumping in a small
boat and going places. I even took him to Hawaii on a charter with 20'
swells. He did better than the other 2 fellas on the charter. Also GDF
had made arrangements to get him accustom to fly in small planes. He and
I went up over Long Island in a Cessna 172 and the pilot did a lot of
steep turns to get him used to unusual attitudes. It has come in very
handy as now he has no problem of jumping the back of a Super Cub and
landing in the bush....very handy! The other thing that GDF did think of
was to introduce him to large animals. They had exposed him to horses
and cows. We have a lot of Moose where I live and he has had many
encounters and behaves wonderfully. We have even had numerous Brown Bear
encounters. He doesn't start barking or going crazy as that would
probably be perceived as a threat or we would be a statistic! I'm not a
poster child for GDF, but they matched and trained this Guide perfectly.
Can't say enough good about them. I'm sure that everybody else has had
some great experiences with their schools also.

www.alaskafrontier.net