[nagdu] Proposed Service Dog Legislation in British Columbia, Canada

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Tue Mar 24 04:14:16 UTC 2015

In Canada, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms trumps this type of
legislation.

The proposed bill violates two provisions of the Charter:  the guarantee of
freedom of mobility, and the guarantee of security of person.

Since the proposed legislation would require all Guide Dog handlers to be
certified within the province, it violates the mobility clause, in that it
prevents freedom of mobility from other parts of Canada.  And, since placing
restrictions on the use of a Guide Dog could potentially endanger the safety
of the handler, it runs afoul of the security of person clause.

I've already sent letters to the British Columbia Solicitor General,
Minister Suzanne Anton, and a couple of relevant subordinates within her
department explaining my point, as well as to William Thornton, the CEO of
Alberta British Columbia Guide Dogs, who apparently supports the bill.

Actually, I had a phone conversation with Mr. Thornton this afternoon, and
he doesn't seem all that pleased that others think differently.

Oh, well, I'd say the bill has a snowball's chance in hell of going
anywhere.  And, if it gets passed, it will be struck down quickly on a
Charter challenge.

Regards,
Dudley, with Michener