[nagdu] Allergies and Huskies

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 06:30:25 UTC 2015

Hi Daryl,Mardi here. I have not had the money to do allergy testing on
Shaman,and my vet says he thinks Shaman's allergies are mostly
environmental.It is not really cold enough to have a break in pollens and
other environmental stuff flying in the air here.Especially this winter. We
had very few nights when it went down to 32 degrees. It was a nice warm
winter. My vet feels that testing Shaman would not be that beneficial as
his allergies are severe,leading him to think that he is allergic to just
about every thing in the air.I have had him on grain free food for several
years,yet his allergies have continued to become worse.He constantly
scratches and chews himself and has scabs all over his body. His coat is
very thin and you can see his skin through the hair on his back.He gets
Benadryl  twice a day.I can't get him allergy shots, even if I could afford
them because you need to test first to see what the allergies are. I have
been doing some research on allergies responding to Raw honey as bees make
their honey with all the pollens that are in the precise area that they
live in.I am giving Shaman vitamin C and natural ,raw honey that comes from
the bees in my area.At first I noticed that Shaman began to scratch more so
I discussed this with the vet and we decided to spread the honey doses out
over a longer period of time. I have noticed that his coat is growing back
and he is scratching a little less. He is also getting Flax seed oil and
fish oil every day.I have had to put him on Prednisone and antibiotics
while treating a particularly bad ear infection.I also bathe him with
Oatmeal shampoo.I would love to try a raw diet,but I am feeding 8 dogs and
simply can't afford to try it.I am hoping that the raw honey will help
Shaman. My vet calls this the natural allergy shots.Shaman loves it and
looks forward to getting it.He is getting it twice a month now,but will
work up to more if he can tolerate it.He is such a great dog,I hate to see
him scratch and chew him self all the time. I do think he is responding
though.None of my Huskies has ever had this kind of allergies. Have a great
day,  Mardi and Shaman,retired and Neechee.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/