[nagdu] Customer satisfaction & Supposed Facts about SEGDI

Sheila Leigland sheila.leigland at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 14:38:45 UTC 2015

Marion I'm in agreement with you. When I was in new york there was a
removal of a guide dog and it really scared me. I was concerned that if
someone didn't like my handling of Tres they might try to see that he
was taken from me.  I watched Tres so carefully that I had a hard time
relaxing and just working with him. I don't react well even to lell
meant assistance or comments especially those not asked for because of
this. Tres is well treated and praised  but seeing a dog removed upset
me. fortunately it happened just a couple of weeks before I left to come
home.

On 3/27/2015 6:11 AM, Marion Gwizdala via nagdu wrote:
> Sandra,
>
> 	I agree that there are those who should not have dogs; however, I
> also believe that the culture of training programs exacerbate the issue by
> putting themselves in an authoritative, paternalistic  position that
> discourages consumers from seeking assistance before the issue becomes
> unmanageable. As long as training programs continue to maintain probationary
> periods and impose conditions upon ownership, there will be those who will
> fear the program will unjustly remove their dogs and will not seek the
> guidance they need to resolve concerns before they become unmanageable.
>
> 	Of course, there will always be those who act irresponsibly and, for
> these handlers, there are community enforcement agencies that can deal with
> issues of abuse or neglect. It should not be the role of the training
> program to be the policing agency. This needs to be left to those the
> community has empowered with policing, such as law enforcement and animal
> services. JMHO!
>
> Fraternally yours,
>
> Marion Gwizdala, President
> National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
> National Federation of the Blind
> (813) 626-2789
> (888) 624-3841 (Hotline)
> President at nagdu.org
> http://www.nagdu.org
>
> High expectations create unlimited potential for the blind!

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/helga.schreiber26%
>>> 4

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/blind411%40verizon.
>>> net