[nagdu] clarification on religious exemptions

Dailyah dailyahpatt at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 05:55:39 UTC 2015

Hi all,
Looks like everyone has this right, but I think it's worth noting that in a situation where a non-religious program is using church grounds for an event that's kinda open to the public, ONLY the area the non-religious party has rented or is using loses ADA exemption.  It isn't the case that all of the Church's buildings are subject to the ADA at that point. (I think this was established by case law, but I'm not positive.  Last time I needed to cite this I called the ADA hotline and had them confirm it!  lol)  Put differently, if the Church's banquet hall has been rented out for use by a soup kitchen, the Church has to allow our dogs into the banquet hall since the soup kitchen is open to the hungry public.  That doesn't mean that the Church ALWAYS has to allow Service Dogs into the banquet hall - only when the soup kitchen is there - and it doesn't mean that the Church must allow service dogs into, for example, the chapel.
Dailyah Rudek and SD RileyProBoneO Program