[nagdu] Letter to out-of-state guide dog programs from California state guide dog board

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:43:56 UTC 2015

Hello Brian,
Just trying to get a few things straight here. The professionals you list
such as doctors, psychologists and contractors are people with in-state
offices. Californians seek them out and receive their services in
California. They have their initial contact/experience with them in
California. They are also professionals whose services come at a financial
cost, paid to them in California and, in many cases subject to insurance.

In the case of a guide dog school, a Californian, as either an adult or a
minor with adult supervision, chooses for whatever reason to leave the state
and attend a program elsewhere, clearly not something California has any
authority over. They have made their decision, developed relationships at a
facility where they actually lived (without being harmed) and are eventually
sent home as graduates of that program, fully qualified to work with a guide
dog safely in any state including California. Only The Seeing Eye, as far as
I know, charges, and that fee is paid to the school before training. No
further fee is required for aftercare.

Then, sometime in the future, the handler invites a trainer from that
program where they have already graduated into their home. I'm assuming that
inviting someone, anyone in fact, into your home is a right that you
cherish. The reasons for this invitation could be as simple as standard
aftercare policies, the guide dog handler would like the instructor to
verify that they are working well in the dog's new area, the person is
working through an issue with the dog and would like more than an
over-the-phone commentary by the professional that trained them. In any
case, are you and the state of California saying that that person from the
out-of-state school, who has already trained the guide dog handler and
perhaps trained the dog prior to that, is assumed not to be qualified to
stop by for a few hours, go for a walk, maybe have lunch and make a comment?

Keep in mind that the guide dog instructor cannot do anything but make
comments. They can't force the dog or the handler to take their advice. They
can't give either an injection, as a doctor might; they can't construct
something either at the person's home or along the routes they are
traveling; they can't charge. They can merely watch and give their
recommendations.

Again, the guide dog and its handler have already been trained. The handler
is either an adult or a minor under the supervision of an adult. The words
custodial and paternalistic have been used, and if you have any knowledge of
their meaning, I suspect that you understand this. Perhaps, however, it is
your belief that blind people are in need of custodial care?

Let's look at this another way. Doctors must be licensed in California.
Let's say your best friend from childhood is a doctor in Colorado. You
invite him to your home, and while he is there, you have a stroke. He calls
911 and begins to treat you saving your life. He isn't licensed in
California. Is anyone going to press charges? I don't think so. Same
scenario which is even more analogous, your doctor friend comes for a visit.
He notices a mole on your neck and advises you to have it removed. Charges?
Again, I don't think so.

Another point is the way in which your current program limits the freedom of
blind Californians. Suppose all of the schools agree to get one of their
instructors licensed. With students from  other states, the schools have the
option to assign students to any instructor on their staff, using their own
criteria for doing so. They can also send any of those instructors to do
follow-up. Under the current conditions which your state has imposed,
schools in other states are forced to make decisions with regard to
California students that are more restrictive than for students from other
states. Do they get one instructor certified and then insist that any
California student be trained by that instructor so that, if there is either
a need for or a practice of an aftercare visit, the student can be seen by
their personal instructor? Or, do they place the California student with the
instructor whose training style, current string of dogs, specific talents
and the like are best suited to that particular student, and then, when it
is time for aftercare, send someone the student may not even know, even if
their instructor is available and willing to go?

You stated:
"Finally, I would like to stress that these requirements are not in place to
sway any person's decision as to which school they should or should not
attend.  These requirements are not in place to hinder follow-up services or
instruction, but simply to ensure consumer safety."

Clearly, as I have stated above, this program does hinder follow-up care and
places blind Californians in a one-down position vis-à-vis their
out-of-state peers with regard to choosing a school. Their personal safety
is a spurious reason at best, since the person not only has already trained
to use the dog in a facility far from home, but since graduation, has
actually been using the dog independently in California.

In fact, by limiting the out-of-state schools in providing the best level of
aftercare, this California law is actually endangering California guide dog
handlers, who have exercised their right to choose an out-of-state school.
Suppose there's been an incident. Someone throws a fire cracker that goes
off twenty feet in front of a working guide dog team (yeah, it's happened).
The team is rattled, the handler would like their instructor, with whom the
handler has developed a relationship and in whom the handler has confidence,
to walk with them and give pointers. The instructor wants very much to come
help but isn't licensed in California.

The handler's choice is to board a plane to go back to the school, which
even if the school pays for it, can be problematic if the handler is
employed, is a student or has a family to take care of. Returning to the
school isn't ideal anyway, because the incident happened at a location in
California, where the handler and dog will continue to have to work;
according to both the handler and instructor, this location is the best
place for after care to occur. So, what happens? Maybe nothing. Maybe that
person and dog don't get any aftercare at all. How does that help their
personal safety?

Furthermore, having this state-regulated system actually sets the stage for
a lower quality of training from California schools, since the other schools
cannot compete with them for California students on a level playing field.
All blind Americans have the responsibility and the right to investigate
their mobility options and form their own views about which, if any,  of the
nation's schools best meets their individual needs. Blind Californians,
however, unlike their out-of-state peers, , must way their personal beliefs
about the best options for guide dog training against the fact that
California itself has created a system that inhibits their ability to freely
choose out-of-state schools, since in doing so they must consider the
possibility of encountering limitations down the line with aftercare.

And, this may be the crux of the matter. Under this current and IMO
unconstitutional law, California schools can boast that unlike other
schools, all of their instructors are licensed to provide follow-up care in
the state. This is a great advantage to them in terms of fund-raising, a
benefit given to them by the state legislature at the expense of the
personal freedoms of blind Californians.
Donna Hill