[nagdu] feedback on Lady

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 01:31:53 UTC 2015

Showing Lady that it is a really good idea to stop at the wall by
giving her a lot of praise or treat(s) is probably your best option.
Using your cane to find this obstacle is a good idea because you'll
know exactly where it is and can make sure you don't trip again. If
Lady knows a command that means something to the effect of pay
attention and be extremely careful, it would probably be a good idea
to use it when approaching the wall. For example, I will tell my dog
"watch it" when I know/suspect there is a challenging obstacle ahead.
Make sure you come to a full stop and then give your dog treats and/or
praise. After repeating this several times, she will look forward to
stopping at this location because she knows it means she will receve
something value.

No one can take your dog away for her work alone. Don't let people who
know little to nothing about guide dogs tell you your dog is not a
good worker. People criticize my dog all the time for "misbehaving"
when he is actually doing exactly what he was trained for.

Danielle and Thai