[nagdu] Theft prevention WAS Re: restaurants and cafes

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat May 16 17:09:25 UTC 2015

Debby,

You are not the only paranoid about theft. I used to worry a lot, then
realized that anyone trying to walk off with Mitzi would be in for a big
surprise. She's overboard with the velcro, and I had to work with her to
get her to agree to let even her best human friends to hold her leash. I
made sure to let groomers and vet techs know that they needed to wait
for me to hand them her leash before she would go with them. Most
actually understand when I explain why. Even if I'm spaced off sitting
at the bus stop in the noisy city, no one can just sneak off with the
nice poodle without my noticing.

Then there's Mr. Friendly... I'm teaching him not to go off with the
groomer or the folks at the vet's office until I hand them the leash in
the hopes he will get the idea not to go off with whichever long lost
best friend wants to take him for a walk while I'm not looking. He's
pretty velcro, too, so that should help. I hope he's not such a pain as
Mitzi if I want to go for a swim or something and leave him with a
friend at the side of the pool, but I do want to teach him not to go off
with strangers just because they smile pretty and have their hands on
his leash.

For restaurants, I do what most people do, it seems, and clip the leash
around my leg so I will feel if there's any disturbance. Poodles are
notoriously fidgety, especially if there's a lot going on that they
can't watch, so being able to feel movement helps with training them to
stay settled or to settle them back down. I'm using what I learned from
Mitzi to get a head start with Loki, so by the time he's working in
restaurants, I'll be able to eat and enjoy from the beginning.

Tami