[nagdu] Uber and the ADA

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Mon May 25 16:25:18 UTC 2015

I agree wholeheartedly.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning via nagdu
Sent: May-25-15 10:13 AM
To: Aleeha Dudley
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Uber and the ADA

I am going way out on a limb here.  If Uber drivers keep denying rides
to people with disabilities I believe everyone with a disability
should refuse to use them for transportation.  I believe we are large
enough number to put a hurt on Uber.  I love Uber and want them to
succeed but they have to put a stop to this type of discrimination.
We must all stand together against this type of treatment.

On 5/25/15, Aleeha Dudley <blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have also joined the club of guide dog users denied by uber. I was waiting
> for a ride outside of a restaurant in Columbus, and needed to be downtown
> for a panel in a half hour. The driver pulled up, but we could not find him.
> The person I was with, also blind, but not with a dog, called the driver to
> see where he was. The driver said he saw us, hung up the phone, and
> cancelled the ride. As a result, I was late and not a very happy camper.
> This just frustrates me that they can try to skate around the law, but the
> drivers say, at least the good ones do, that they have received a memo about
> service animals.
>
> Aleeha Dudley and Seeing Eye Dog Dallas
> Vice President, Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users
> Vice President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
> Both proud divisions of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
> Email: blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com <mailto:blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com>
> Phone: 937-733-0525
> blindness is not what holds you back.
> “The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.” - Arabian
> proverb
>
>> On May 25, 2015, at 10:37 AM, Marianne Denning via nagdu
>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Please keep us informed.
>>
>> On 5/25/15, Cindy Ray via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> Well, I've joined the ranks of dog users denied the Uber ride because a
>>> driver saw my dog and quickly cancelled before I could find his car. It
>>> was
>>> in the parking lot of a restaurant. I complained to them. But I also
>>> mentioned it to Michael Hingson because of the suits in California.
>>> Someone
>>> from Uber called me at 10:00 last night; I thought this to be

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053