[nagdu] Lickers

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed May 27 15:16:10 UTC 2015

Kaye,

Some dogs are obsessive lickers, and I seem to remember that it's a
behavior flaw poodles can be prone to. It's worse when the dog is under
stress, as she would have been at the school and in her new home, but I
guess they'll keep licking when they're not stressed.

I agree that the best approach is to substitute another behavior by
redirecting her to, say, a nylabone or rawhide or whatever she likes to
chew, then give her attention as an added reinforcement. Other types of
play can also help reduce stress and build positive leisure behaviors.
If you can manage some sort of run play with her, that seems to do
wonders for my poodles to let off work stress. I was going to mention
that a nice sniff 'n stroll is a good way to relax, but it's probably
not a smart strategy with a new dog. Hm...

You can also simply nudge her nose away from what she's licking to stop
her without adding the stress of a punitive correction, then give her
some quick attention and praise for redirecting. As much as you can,
giving her a substitute behavior to satisfy her oral fixation should
work faster.

Obsessive behaviors can also have chemical causes and need to be treated
medically. There are drugs for that now for dogs, I guess, but I prefer
something like Rescue Remedy or another natural calming formula. The
only other one I've used is called Happy Camper, but I prefer Rescue
Remedy. Once it settles the dog down, I can then work on the behavior
without all the interference from stress hormones and start creating
happy endorphins for the behavior I want and all that jazz.

Good luck!

Tami