[nagdu] Update on my new dog

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu May 28 06:40:05 UTC 2015

I have found a name for her,or rather she picked her own name.I had a bunch
of names on a list and called her several that I liked. The only one she
responded to was Shulamith, pronounced SHOO LA MITH.I called her the names
quite a few times and every time I called her Shulamith, she would pick up
her head and look at me and some times she would put her head in my lap,but
only when I called her Shulamith. She ignored the other names,so she has
picked her own name.We are still working on house manners which have
greatly improved. I have found that she responds to the sit command much
better when we are in the kitchen by ourselves.She is pretty consistent.
When we are out side with some of the other dogs around, she is not as
consistent. She seems to get very distracted. She is heeling on a loose
leash now with an occasional slight tug on the leash if she gets to far
forward,but she is not pulling like she did when I first got her.I am using
just a martingale collar on her.Her response to the down command in
nonexistent at this time, but we will keep working at it.She has had almost
no training before I got her so, things are going slow, but she is a very
pleasant dog to work with. She just needs to figure out what I want her to
do. When I show her it takes a while for her to get it. I just have to be
patient and consistent. I have the whole Summer to work on this stuff.I am
enjoying my morning work outs with her. She is happy to be with someone who
is being kind to her.I don't think she had a lot of kindness in her life,
but she does not seem to have trust issues or fear of people or other
dogs.She wants to please so I think she will work out fine.She just needs
to learn at her own pace,and I am willing to do that for her.She is still
very thin so she is being fed twice daily and is getting fish oil and
coconut oil for her coat.She seems to like me grooming her. We are well on
our way to bonding.She is fitting in with the other dogs well and is no
longer being crated at night. She usually lays under my computer desk on a
blanket.Some times she will go into the other room and lay in her crate
with the door open. I will keep you up dated on her training.    Mardi and
Shaman,retired and Neechee and Shulimith,GDIT.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/