[nagdu] Fish oil?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu May 28 14:48:01 UTC 2015

Hi, Raven,

Thanks for this. it has been incredibly helpful! I am still incredibly overwhelmed, trying to locate something at our grocer and/or pet store was nearly impossible... I still don't quite udnerstand the math on this :(

Feel free to email off-list so we don't clog it up.

Daryl

----- Original Message ----- From: Raven Tolliver via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Cc: Raven Tolliver <ravend729 at gmail.com> Sent: Mon, 25 May 2015 06:20:12 -0600 (MDT) Subject: Re: [nagdu] Fish oil?  Daryl, Below is an excerpt from one of the articles I wrote on the Natural rearing guide dogs list. This article talked about the importance of omega-3. The Widespread lack of Omega-3 Many dogs seem to need omega-3 supplementation as well. Dog food is high in omega-6 because plant matter makes up much of the ingredients, and the meats used in the recipes are grain-fed meats. Some companies add fish oil to their dog food recipes to balance out the omega-6. If your dog food lacks fish oil, or if your dog eats grain-fed meats, a fish oil supplement should probably be in order. A sign your dog might benefit from a fish oil supplement is if your dog has an inflammatory condition, allergies, or yeast overgrowth. Supplementation Guidelines A good quality fish body or krill oil is human grade and free of soy - tocopherols, mixed tocopherols, vitamin E oil, other plant oils, flavorings and additives. Give 100 mgs of combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of dog for a maintenance daily dose. Give 300 mgs of combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of dog for a therapeutic daily dose. The maintenance dosage is preventative and purely for dietary supplementation, whereas the therapeutic dosage is medicinal and aims to treat an internal imbalance, such as allergies or other inflammatory conditions. Here’s an example of a quality fish oil for your dog. http://www.vitacost.com/country-life-super-omega-3-60-softgels-1 It is important to choose human-grade fish oil because there are no regulations of ingredients for pet-grade fish oils. Pet-grade products contain ingredients that are unsafe for human consumption, and thus lack appropriate nutrients and contain ingredients from questionable sources (16). Vitamin E supplementation is not necessary, a proper species appropriate whole prey model raw diet is rich in antioxidants. Also, vitamin E is usually derived from soy, which is not necessary and is detrimental to the health of all animals (14, 15). If you are concerned about the lack of vitamin E in your fish oil and your dog’s overall diet, read the below article. Using Fish Oil For Your Dog? Read This First! http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/using-fish-oil-for-your-dog-read-this-first/ Feeding Fish Instead of Supplementing For those who feed raw, here are some guidelines for feeding fish as a source of omega-3. If you feed fish at all, feed sparingly, since red meats should rule the diet. Deep sea oily fish have much higher levels of Omega-3 than freshwater fish. Over feeding fish can result in thiamin deficiency, and also some fish can cause a histamine reaction, if not handled properly. Ocean fish should be small, as the larger the fish, the larger the mercury accumulation. Ocean fish should be of sustainable species. Freshwater fish should be safe for human consumption. Check with your local fish and wildlife agency for lists and safe areas. Farmed fish should be avoided, as many come from Asian sources, and most are kept in cramped conditions, fed antibiotics, and the equivalent of fish chow and also ground up fish. All wild game, including fish, should be frozen solid for 3-4 weeks prior to feeding to kill parasites. If/when you do feed fish, feed freshly thawed or frozen, and throw out any leftovers. Fish should not be left at room temperature or refrigerated and then re-fed. References 14.	Should you consume soy products? http://www.naturalnews.com/043197_soy_products_food_consumption_GMOs.html 15.	The Health Dangers of Soy http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/soy-health_b_1822466.html 16. Human Grade vs. Pet Grade http://www.allthebestpetcare.com/human-grade-vs-pet-grade/ -- Raven You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you have or what you do. Naturally-reared guide dogs https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs On 5/25/15, Pam via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote: > hi daryl. i give callie fish oil capsules too. i also give her sardines > sometimes. i think it helps anyway. > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On 25 May 2015, at 00:49, Daryl Marie via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote: >> >> hey, guys! >> I feel like I live in a desert! Since the snow melt nearly three months >> ago, we have had a couple of snow falls and a little bit of rain... but >> the dust and dirt and grime is still EVERYWHERE! >> I think I wrote earlier about Jenny's allergies, but over the past week in >> particular with hot, dry days, Jenny has been scratching like CRAZY! >> I have been told that fish oil can help with this, but I've done some >> internet searching and feel completely overwhelmed! >> Any pointers? >> >> Daryl >> _______________________________________________ >> nagdu mailing list >> nagdu at nfbnet.org >> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org >> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for >> nagdu: >> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/pamyoung80%40gmail.com > > _______________________________________________ > nagdu mailing list > nagdu at nfbnet.org > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org > To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for > nagdu: > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/ravend729%40gmail.com > _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/crazymusician%40shaw.ca