[nagdu] Cruising to Hawaii with a Guide Dog

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat May 30 12:37:01 UTC 2015

Robert,

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of robert stigile
via nagdu
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 3:11 PM
To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Cc: robert stigile
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Cruising to Hawaii with a Guide Dog

hello
well i probably just leave the dog at home as i will graduate with the dog
in october and leave a month later not enough time for blood work thanks

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 29, 2015, at 11:59 AM, Bryan Gearry via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
wrote:

> Hi Robert, I live in Alaska and go to Hawaii each year with my Guide. I
fly direct to all the islands and there is some requirements that are
different than any place on the Mainland. As far as cruises, I have no idea,
but I'm going to assume it's the same as going to the islands. They do have
a 90 day quarantine which is waived for Guide Dogs providing they meet other
requirements. The issue is going to be going ashore, unless you do all the
steps. It all depends on your first point of entry on the Islands.

> First of all, I'll address requirements: Rabies Titer (Favian) test. It
can take 2 months to get back results so do it early. Your vet should know
the procedure.

> Second, you will have to get a health certificate. The certificate is only
good for 30 days....keep that in mind.

> Third, you will need a copy of current Rabies certificate as well as
current (proof) of Frontline etc. They do have a lot of fleas and ticks
there.

> You will also need an itinerary. This is the part that gets tricky. If you
you disembark on any outlying island, you must have a vet meet you at the
your first point of entry. This can be somewhat expensive as if it is
weekend, after 5, etc. you are paying overtime. The state has a list of vets
for you to contact prior to your visit. It is called "direct entry".
Honolulu is different. And this part I don't know about. I come in to HNL
around 7:30 p.m. They have airport folks meet me at the gate and we walk
over to the Rabies Quarantine office and they do the inspection. There is no
charge for this as these are state employee's. This is for airport entry, as
I mentioned, what they do for cruise visitors may be completely different.

> Guide has to be chipped.
>
> All of this has to be done PRIOR to cruise. Here is a link that will
> help you. http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/guide-service-dogs/

	Perhaps the training program will work with you to get the blood
work done before you begin training. I know it is not 100% certain which dog
you will get; however, they likely have a vet who can do the tider test on
the options they have for you. Just a suggestion.

Marion

> A lot of people are intimidated by the process, but if you have everything
in order before you go.....It's a piece of cake.

> Good luck, Bryan Gearry
>

>> On 5/29/2015 10:28 AM, Robert Stigile via nagdu wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I am writing, to ask, if anyone knows what the requirements might be in
order to cruise to Hawaii with your guide dog.
>> I am hoping to receive a new dog in October, and I am considering
cruising from Los Angeles to Hawaii in November on a two week cruise.
>> I look forward to hearing from anyone who know the laws.
>> Thank you,
>>

>> Robert Stigile
>> 818-381-9568
>> e-mail: rstigile at gmail.com
>> Second Vice-President
>> National Federation of the Blind of California President San Fernando
>> Valley Chapter The national Federation of the blind knows that
>> blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.
Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want. Blindness is not what holds you back.