[nagdu] Low cal food continued

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sun Oct 4 16:21:36 UTC 2015

Dan, There is a gal on another list who feeds three cups of food a day takes
at least one walk a day and plays with her pup. The dog kept gaining weight.
After checking with her frequent guests that no one is feeding the dog and
feeling certain she was being told the truth, she took him to the vet. Now
this is a seventy five pound dog who now to her horror weighed ninety five
pounds. It was summer and he was breathing awful. The vet did blood tests,
and like you nothing really showed. She cut him back to two cups a day and
took him for two walks a day trying to get the dangerous weight off him.
Still no real answer. She consulted the school and between them and the vet
they are feeding another food she can easily get but has far fewer calories,
not low calorie. The weight is slowly coming off. Oh his testosterone was
up. That was the only odd thing in the blood.

She says he went from being a lump on the couch to actually playing. So no
real idea why the weight came on him. Some dogs age and things slow down.
Her dog is like six years old. So just cut back his normal food.

I am taking a risk here, as I don't know if this person is a lurker on list.
I used to sale dog harnesses. I had a gal with her first dog posting to
these list and her dog's weight was steadily increasing. She wanted an
extender for her harness to be made. I suggested that perhaps her dog weight
is the problem. Well I got quite a curt note back. Her father trained dogs
in the army. Her vet said her dog's weight was fine. The rep from her school
came out and said to her get twenty pounds off that dog or it goes back. She
did and didn't need a new harness. But hey I could have had a good sell from
her. But I care about dog being overweight folks. Dogs do not gain weight
after spading and neutering. Let's just myth bust that lie. I have heard
that lie all my life. That was partly why we never spade our pet dog and
never let her breed. She died of a preventable breast cancer, mournful sy.
We didn't know thirty years ago this is a lie, but you do. So make sure
neither of you wear spare tires, all fingers pointing at myself. I wear the
spare tire, Jake doesn't.

Thank you Dan for loving your dog enough to seriously investigate, warm
hugs.

Becky and the snoozing Jake