[nagdu] Impulse control

Danielle Cyclorama dsykora29 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 20:28:42 UTC 2015

Tracy,
Your description of Krokus sounds startlingly similar to Thai. He behaves perfectly well when he knows he's being set up, then tries to eat anything that resembles food in real life. The only training scenario where he'll actually try to eat something is if I leave food somewhere while he's not looking and walk away. Of course, that's the most difficult situation to work with. For many food motivated dogs, getting the food and receiveing a correction. is preferable to no food at all. The Halti helps exponentially, but isn't completely effective if there's food inches away at nose level or right between his paws when he's laying down. I remove the Halti when Thai lays down for any extended period because I know it's not the most comfortable. That being said, I either put it back on before he stands up or hold the leash very close to the collar as he's standing up so he can't grab anything.
I wouldn't feel comfortable using a basket muzzle for my dog, since it would prevent the use of food rewards. If this isn't a concern for you, it might be a good option.

Danielle and Thai
Sent from my iPhone