[nagdu] FW: Hallandale paves way for cops to give injured service dogs a ride to vet

Tina Thomas judotina48kg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 20:21:23 UTC 2015

Subject: Hallandale paves way for cops to give injured service dogs a ride to vet

Hallandale paves way for cops to give injured service dogs a ride to vet

October 16, 2015, 5:22 PM |HALLANDALE BEACH

Susannah Bryan

Sun Sentinel - Florida

Source URL: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-service-animals-hallandale-911-20151016-story.html

People with injured or sick service dogs can now call 911 if they need help getting the animal to the vet.

City commissioners unanimously approved the new law last week.

"Since we passed the law, it's come to my attention that other cities are considering doing something similar," said Commissioner Michele Lazarow, who sponsored the ordinance. "It's great we are starting another trend."

Lazarow got the idea from Doral, which passed a similar law last year after a disabled woman's service dog suffered a heart attack at a restaurant and died.

Hallandale Beach Police Chief Dwayne Flournoy said officers will be trained on how to transport the injured animal and owner.

"We are going to have to buy some equipment so we can safely transport the animal as well," he said.

A new law in Hallandale Beach allows owners of sick or injured service dogs to hitch a ride to the vet with a cop in emergencies.

(Gerald Herbert / AP photo)

Residents and visitors who call 911 and falsely claim their dog is a service animal will risk a fine and jail time. They can be charged with a second-degree misdemeanor that can lead to a $500 fine and 60 days in jail.

sbryan at sunsentinel.com <mailto:sbryan at sunsentinel.com>  or 954-356-4554