[nagdu] retired guide dogs

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Wed Sep 2 13:34:34 UTC 2015

Hi Liz,
I am sorry to hear about Gabe's early retirement, but am very pleased to hear he is recovering quite well.
I sort of kept my retired guide, Pascal. What I mean by that is that he actually lives with my Mom and Stepdad now, but I often have him come over and stay with me for a few days. As far as introducing the dogs, they actually met the day I returned from GDB. I did not want my Mom to bring him to the airport, but she did anyways. It actually worked out really well, since they met in the relieving area at the airport, so it was on neutral ground. After we arrived back at my house, the dogs immediately wanted to play, and have gotten along extremely well since. They act like they've known each other their whole lives!
Pascal is the type of dog who always likes to go, and is always waiting by the door to go when you leave. So, at times it's a bit tricky to get Mambo out of the apartment and keep Pascal inside. Usually, I just tell him to stay, I don't have to use a crate or tie down. But, it can be easier if he's in another room when we leave without him. Pascal really does not seem jealous of Mambo, they both want my attention at times, but they aren't overly pushy with each other. I have been very lucky, and I think it helps that Pascal is only 8, so he still loves to play. Plus, Pascal was very ready to retire, so he really doesn't miss working much. He still loves to go out and meet people, but seems relieved that he no longer has to wear the harness and be a guide.
Another thing I do too, is when I have Pascal over, I will make an effort to take him out on nice walks in the neighborhood. I just use my cane and he gets the chance to do some sniffing and checking his pee-mail.
I hope you have decent weather in January at The Seeing Eye.
Deanna, Mambo and retired Pascal