[nagdu] Guides at NFB training centers

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Thu Sep 3 18:23:50 UTC 2015

Michael, I totally agree with this.  I have worked over 20 years as a
blindness professional and I rarely get asked, "should I encourage
____ to get a cane?"  I am often asked, "shouldn't ____ get a dog?"
My answer is always that anyone who chooses to use a dog needs to
learn to use a cane first and have good O&M skills. I also go on to
explain how a dog is a mobility aid and the individual still needs to
be in charge of the mobility.

However, I don't think we should go overboard one way or the other.
It is important that people who use dogs have the same access to the
fabulous training at the centers without giving up their mobility aid
during the training time.

Just as zoos were allowed to say they did not allow dogs in the past
and we are asking to rethink this policy; I think it is time to ask
the centers to rethink their policies.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053