[nagdu] Concerns with training Centers in General

Danielle Cyclorama dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:17:52 UTC 2015

Of course official NFB does not condemn dog use, but I would say that
there are some prejudices. Note that most of my experience with NFB members are with young adults and teenagers, so they theoretically should not see cane use as superior the way some older members might have previously been used to. I have been criticized for my use of both a folding cane and a dog. It definitely was the minority of the NFB members I have encountered, but it was prevalent enough to make me uncomfortable and to question if I really wanted to be a part of the organization. I say this not to criticize the NFB, but to point out that such attitudes do in fact exist among younger members.

Does anyone know what the policies of the centers are concerning non-guiding service dogs. If someone use a cane but had a seizure alert dog, would that dog be prohibited from any locations. A bit more complicated is if someone had a dog trained for both guiding and another task. Would someone be able to have their cross trained dog with them if they used their cane but needed the dog for, say, balance? I think knowing this answer could tell us a lot about center policy.

Danielle and Thai
Sent from my iPhone