[nagdu] ADA in Tennessee.

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Mon Sep 7 17:51:31 UTC 2015

Ashley,

James Bone will have to comment on specific Tennessee laws. You also can
find them through the Advocacy Hotline and on the NAGDU app.

However, the ADA is National and, the last time I checked, (grin), Tennessee
was still part of the U.S. So, you are correct insofar as a National
position is concerned. I also suspect that Tennessee has its own state law
that says that your guide dog is permitted to accompany you.

Here is the Tennessee law I found on the NAGDU web site. I would suggest
that if someone is renting a cabin then the public is invited and no extra
charge should be demanded.

Tennessee Statutes, Acts of 1955, Title 62, Chapter 7, Sections 62-7-112;
55-8-180; and 40-35-111 Tennessee statutory law guarantees a blind person
the legal right to be accompanied by a specially trained dog guide in
harness in all public accommodations and on all public conveyances. A dog
guide user is also guaranteed the legal right to all housing accommodations.
No extra charge can be levied because of the dog guide's presence, but the
dog guide user is liable for any damage the dog might cause to the premises.
The dog guide user may be requested to present for inspection the
identification card furnished by a dog guide training institution to their
graduates. Public accommodations under Tennessee law include such facilities
as stores, theaters, motion picture houses, elevators, public
transportation, restaurants, hotels, public educational institutions, and
other places to which the general public is invited. (Sect. 62-7-112) A
pedestrian being led by a dog guide has the right-of-way crossing a public
street. (Sect. 55-8-180) Violation: Anyone who interferes with the
above-enumerated legal rights is guilty of a misdemeanor. (Sect. 40-35-111

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson