[nagdu] Talking points for convos withtraining centers'directors

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 23:30:20 UTC 2015

Hi! First of all, before I answer your question MELISSA, I will
tell you all that I am WAY behind in email.  I have not been able
to download or send since Thursday.  I was at my mom's and for
some real weird reason my Apex would not connect with their
Internet, though it has before.  I'm using our "hot spot" in the
car now, as we head home to Spokane.

Perhaps Melissa, you should be the first contact with Julie as I
doubt that I'll really be able to give my full attention to
anything until I'm laid off work whenever that is going to be.

I would like to see people who do arrive at Centers be able to
incorporate their dogs into more of the training.  Perhaps do
some routes with dogs, so that you can practice any new travel
skills that have been acquired by being at the Center.  This
would also help with the bond that we all have with our dogs.  I
would also like to see students be able to eventually have their
dogs with them in Braille and computer classes.  I'm not sure
about Home Management and woodshop.  The kitchens get pretty busy
during Home Management, so having a dog in the kitchen would be a
very bad idea, ow think.  Some of the equipment used in wood shop
is also noisy at times, with the various machines running.  And
though the shop area is fairly clean, there are sometimes wood
scraps, etc.  on the floor.  Which is, incidentally why I can't
have Nova with me at work on the floor.

i will say that nobody ever spoke disrespectfully about dogs, and
when I had my difficulties with Lamar, Center staff were very
supportive, and let me talk out my issues as I was making the
decision whether to send him back to my husband or not.  They
were absolutely great about it.  Some of the students were also
very helpful, but especially the other people who had their dogs
with them.  Julie was very understanding about how difficult it
was for me to have to send Lamar back.  She told me if I needed
time after he left, to take whatever time I needed.  By then, I'd
done all the crying I was going to do, and knew I just needed to
keep busy so I wouldn't mope.  And there is one person on this
list who will tell you that actually people really liked Lamar,
and if he had been able to work well in Denver, he would have
been welcome at any after school activities.  (Especially if it
involved pizza).  (Grin).

I just want there to be more ways that people with dogs can have
them involved in Center life, and I really do believe that the
time has come to explore that, with Center staff, for with the
Center Directors.  But I also believe that if we start out
antagonistic, we could do more harm than good.    Debby and Nova