[nagdu] Washington DC metro area puppies (add Rockville ADA)

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Sep 11 04:00:55 UTC 2015

Tom,

Yes, it does not matter who trained the dog, only that the dog is
trained specifically for the disability of the handler.

While the dog is being trained, the trainer does not have the same
access under the ADA. Some state laws provide for access for trainers
with dogs in training.

If you are raising/training a pup for a program, it doesn't count as a
service dog for you. If your state law allows for access for trainers
with the trainees, then you would have the same access. If not, the
program may have arrangements with entities so that trainers may enter
with their pups to teach public access manners.

Have you contacted Hero Dogs directly? They may be able to tell you
about access to transportation during raising and training. Some cabs,
at least out here on the west coast, will take pet dogs, so they would
also be willing to take a dog in training even if state law does not
require them to.

It's late, and I"m puncy, so I apologize if I'm not making sense or
haven't answered the question you were actually asking. /smile/

Tami