[nagdu] a dog for Tom was Washington DC metro area puppies (add Rockville ADA)

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Sep 11 13:36:13 UTC 2015

Tom,

You've had a lot of different ideas with a variety of accompanying
questions.  I'll try to address all the options and my thoughts about each.
This is probably going to be very, very long.  Go get a coffee now before
you start reading this!

Option One: a traditional guide from a program
You've been rejected from two programs and have come to the conclusion that
this isn't for you.   I've written extensively before on why I think you
were denied.  You are fairly newly blind.  You haven't learned how to use a
cane very well yet.  You do not travel with your cane very frequently.  You
are not accepting of a non visual means of mobility.  It will be extremely
difficult for you to suddenly quit using your vision to move about and rely
on the dog.   Learning the underlying skills of orientation that are
necessary to be able to use a guide dog effectively can take a few months
with significant daily effort or even a couple of years.  Learning the
larger skill set of accepting your blindness, being seen out and about with
your cane, feeling comfortable with relying on non visual means of
mobility...those things can also take a few months to a few years.  I know a
few people who have been blind for a long, long time and are still trying to
hide it.

If you  want a guide from a program, I think that is possible.   Work on
your blindness skills and reapply in a year.  there are a large number of
programs in the U.S. and I am reasonably confident that at least one of them
will accept you.  In short, you applied too early and are not ready.

A guide from a program has some significant advantages.  It is an adult dog
with all of the core training already done.  You will receive training on
how to best utilize the skills of the dog.   You will be provided with
information about your rights when accompanied by the dog.  In most cases
you will have access to follow up services if you should run into any
difficulties.

Option Two: training your own service/guide dog
It is completely legal to do this.  Three of my four guides were trained by
me.  The fourth was privately trained for me by another blind person.
However, training your own guide dog is much, much, much more involved than
might appear at first glance.

You still have to have the basic blindness skills.  The dog is not trained
when you begin, so you still have to be able to use a cane to get about.
If you start with an adult dog, it may take a few months to a full year to
train the guide skills.  If you start with a puppy, it can take up to two
years.  Owner training is not a quick fix by any stretch of the imagination.

Add on to the training time, the time it will take to find a suitable dog to
start with.  This is actually the most time consuming part of the whole
thing.  Start with an unsuitable dog and you have just signed up for a lot
of frustration and disappointment. Start with a dog who is suitable but
needs a lot of socialization or fill in the gaps training and you will have
the opportunity to learn patience on a grand scale.   Start with a suitable
and ready to learn dog and the guide training is time consuming, but fairly
straightforward.

All of this is assuming that you have a background in dog training of some
variety.  If you know nothing about dogs or dog training you will have to
learn all those skills.   The steeper your personal learning curve, the less
likely you are to be successful with owner training.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but owner training is simply not for everyone.
It takes an incredible amount of work and dedication.  You need to have good
overall blindness skills, excellent orientation skills, the time, the
financial ability to cover expenses, an understanding of dog behavior and
training, a good understanding of how guide dogs work, a solid dog to start
with, people to support you, a sense of adventure, a bit of fearlessness and
a heaping helping of commitment to the process.  Some of these are
absolutely essential and non negotiable.  Other items on this list can be
learned as you go.  The more of these you have, the more likely you are to
be successful.

There are obviously advantages to owner training.  The main one is the level
of customization.  I, personally, find it rewarding to train my own dogs,
but I do a lot of things I find rewarding that others think are nutty.  I
like to learn new things, to problem solve and all things DIY.

Option Three: raising a puppy for a program
If you want to do this, you really need to Google service or guide dog
programs in your area and see what's available.  To be clear this is a
volunteer project.  It will not be a trained dog.  It will not do anything
to help you with your disability.  You will have no right to portray the dog
as a service dog.  It isn't.  It is a dog who may one day be a service dog,
but is currently a puppy, nothing more.

Generally you would be expected to keep the dog for about a year, perhaps a
little more.  You would teach the dog basic obedience skills like: sit,
down, stay, come, etc.  You would teach house manners like: not getting into
the trash, not jumping on people, relieving outdoors, not stealing food and
anything else the dog needs to know to live peacefully with people.  You
would socialize the dog, meaning taking the dog places to get him used to
daily life with a person.   these might include: parks, stores, various
modes of transportation, restaurants, etc.  It is possible to properly
socialize a puppy while taking them only to pet friendly places.  Health
care and food establishments are the only places where laws restrict pet
dogs from entering.  Everywhere else, the florist, the hardware store, the
hair salon, the computer repair, outdoor cafes, farmers markets and the
like, it is up to the individual store owner whether or not they will allow
dogs.

Others have explained the legal issues with service dogs and service dogs in
training.  Here's a review:
In order for a dog to be legally a service/guide dog under the ADA it must:
1. be individually trained.  This means the training is completed.  The dog
has basic obedience, socialization, manners and advanced task training.
For a guide dog the advanced task training includes: avoiding obstacles,
indicating environmental features, and responding to directional cues.
2. The handler must have a disability.
3. The skills the dog has been trained to do must mitigate the handlers
disability.  If your disability is blindness and the dog is trained to alert
you to the doorbell,  this isn't a legal service dog for you.

I cannot stress enough that it is the disabled person who has the right to
be accompanied by the dog to mitigate a disability.  A service dog has no
civil rights.  Legally it is no different than a wheelchair.  A service dog
is a tool, like a white cane, used to mitigate a disability.  White canes
have no civil rights.   Think of a guide dog like a white cane in regard to
legal issues.

Raising puppies that may grow up to be guide or service dogs is a worthwhile
endeavor.  It is needed and appreciated.  If you feel this is a volunteer
opportunity that fits your lifestyle, then go for it.  Please understand
though, it's not a service dog.

Option Four: a pet dog
I've had pet dogs all of my life.  I love dogs, enjoy having them around and
would have a dog even if I decide at some point to not have a guide dog.
There are health benefits to having pets, lower stress levels and
companionship among others.  Having a pet dog is a perfectly respectable
option.

You can teach the dog anything you like, obedience skills, fun tricks, to go
on nature hikes...even competition dog sports.   There are loads and loads
of things you can go and do with a pet dog.  There are clubs to join and
lots of pet friendly places to go.  If you want a dog for the sake of going
and doing things with a dog, then there are lots of dogs who would love to
join you.

There are other options like private trainers, service dog programs for
other types of disabilities other than blindness, having no dog, a mini
horse and probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment.  The above are
the most popular choices though.  I'd encourage you to work on your
blindness skills diligently for a bare minimum of 6 months.  If you have the
opportunity to get blindness skills training from your state's agency, then
take advantage of that.  In the meantime, think very, very carefully about
what it is exactly you want from a dog.   Do you want a companion to watch
TV with?  A free spirited dog to free run along side you as you go hiking?
A dog to indicate overhead obstacles? A way to get involved in your
community?  All of these are totally legitimate wants in a dog, but what
exactly you want and need will determine what type of dog will fit into your
life.

All my best to you!
Julie