[nagdu] Allergic reaction to ear cleanser?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 24 18:05:22 UTC 2015

Hi!
On the topic of ear infections... Jenny got another one last week. I inadvertently gave her treats with rice and grain in them... silly me didn't read the label!
I've been cleaning her ears with a solution she's had before, but have gradually increased the time between cleaning to 2 times a week while the infection is present. Until yesterday, she was doing great!

I cleaned her ears on Tuesday night. Admittedly, I may have put too much solution in them, but I did wipe them dry. About 18 hours later, both ears were hot to the touch, she was pawing at both of them, she kept pulling them away, and they were slightly pink and obviously irritated.

This morning they are much less sensitive, less pink, and she's pawing at them less.

So I have a few questions:
1) Is it possible to have a reaction to an ear cleanser? In looking at the ingredients, it looks like it's an oat extract-based cleanser. If so...
2) I've been told that a grain allergy is generally only if it's been ingested... but by flushing her ears out with it, is it not technically an ingestion?
3) Any ear cleanser recommendations? My vet carries Epiotic, and I've heard good things about it and Zymox. I've also got coconut oil coming, but buying it locally is insanely expensive.

Thanks,

Daryl