[NAGDU] Using an accessible GPS while working your guide dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Apr 14 12:46:11 UTC 2016

Hi Carmela.
I know TSE and Leader were both incorporating GPS into the later stages of
training, if someone wanted it.  Me, I was much too busy trying to figure
out what makes my new pup tick to ask about it, as were most of my
classmates, but I've heard of the option.

I sometimes put on BlindSquare when I'm walking, but it does chatter a lot
and can be distracting.  Also, I've sometimes stopped to try to find out
something from the GPS, and ended up fooling around with it for a minute or
two, which makes my dog wonder why we're just standing around in the middle
of nowhere.  So they can be useful, but look out for getting distracted by
the tech.
I use the CCrane over-ear monoaural earphone.  It's small, inexpensive,
doesn't poke into my ear, and doesn't block other sounds.

I'm thinking about trying the Seeing Eye GPS, which now has a month's free
trial. I'll try it sometime this summer, when we go somewhere on vacation.
Tracy