[NAGDU] [nagdu] guiding in a heel

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Apr 18 18:10:32 UTC 2016

Danielle,

My dogs would also rather make themselves useful than passively heel. It
ends up working out better that way, so I go with it. Even my husband's
pet dog will do basic obstacle clearance when I'm walking her. Some of
that she picked up from Mitzi, and I also taught her a bit. It's just
easier that way. I've found there are very few times I need a truly
passive heel from my guide dog, and both will grudgingly agree to it
then, so long as nothing comes up to require their intervention. I
haven't taught Loki formal leash guiding yet, since I want him to do
loose leash in his flat collar. He's pretty good unless he's all charged
up, and even then he doesn't try to drag me. I want to have him more
solid on *not* pulling in his flat collar before I decide whether to
teach him to put tension on the leash on command. Even so, he can give
directional cues without putting tension on the leash so long as I'm
paying attention.

Loki's good at off leash heeling around the yard, but outside of
obedience sessions, a true heel isn't that useful when I could take
advantage of the helpful obstacle clearance. Once I realized that with
Mitzi, I stopped sweating it. Now that she's retired because of some
arthritis in her back, I'm trying to convince her to not guide or pull
and finding it difficult. She assures me it's unnatural and just plain
wrong. /lol/

Tami