[NAGDU] guide dogs and unfamiliar routes

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:37:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I agree with what's been said...  And I'll take it a step further...

We should expect that we will get lost with our dogs.  It will happen
at least once, if not multiple times.  And we must know how our dogs
react to this.  Of course, it is ideal to know exactly where we're
going so that we can give our dog clear directions, but navigating the
world can be rather like navigating life.  We do not always know where
we're going, even when we think we do.

So do you know how your dog reacts when you're lost.  My first dog
would work but got really stressed out.  My current dog probably
thinks it's a game and loves it because I ask him for more targets
when I don't know what's around me.  As long as I tell him he's a good
boy, he's on board.  :)

These dogs should have the training to work with us under a majority
of the circumstances in which we find ourselves.  There is no reason
we should be afraid of working them in new environments or expect that
we will always no where we are headed when we're using our dogs.  If
you feel more comfortable with your cane in a new environment and wish
to use it, then go for it.  But if you would rather work the dog, or
if you want your dog with you for the rest of the travel involved in
your plans, then excellent.  In the end, Aleeha, you know yourself and
your dog best, and that matters the most.