[NAGDU] Leader and Leash Guiding

I jeninems at icloud.com
Wed Apr 20 12:03:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

I can’t speak directly for Leader of course but a friend trained there during the time frame you mentioned and she’s never heard that they ever trained any level of leash guiding.

Most guide dog schools teach their dogs from puppyhood to lead out, not to walk at a perfect heel position. They also do not force the issue during formal training but rather force control when walking on loose leash, if that makes any sense. In other words, the dog shouldn’t be gagging at the end of its leash when not in harness.

HTH