[NAGDU] Pilot Dogs Harness Question

Caitlyn Furness caitlyn.furness at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 13:30:48 UTC 2016

Lizzie,
My husband has a dog from Pilot.

theharness is not anything spectacularly different from ost guide dog harnesses…

the chest strap can accommodate a snap in peice, which is a leather strip with prongs or pegs on it.  they use this for dogs with a really strong pull.  the dog learns by himself not to pull too hard.  If you don’t need this strip, there is a “blank” leather peice which is smooth that you can snap on there instead of the prong one.

there is a chest strap which goes around the front of the dog, and a back strap/belly strap which goes around the dog’s body just behind the front legs.

the handle is pretty heavy.  It does not come off the harness unless you can unbend the metal at the dee ring where it connects to the harness body.  The metal is now covered in a reflective white material rather then the orange it used to be covered with.  the hand grip is leather, not really cushiony, but comfortable to hold nonetheless.  the bunny ears are longer then most guide harnesses, but they do sit closer to the harness body then others I’ve seen.  The harness snaps on the dog’s right side with a standard bolt snap.

I know they are made by the Amish, but don’t know anything else other then that.

hth,
Caitlyn