[NAGDU] Pilot Dogs Harness Question

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 20 16:17:41 UTC 2016

Hello Lisie:

I will try to give you a good description.  Our Pilot Dog harnesses are made
out of tan leather.  The handle is covered in white vinyl on the sides and
tan leather at the top and partly down each side.  The handle does not have
clips or snaps to attach it to the D-rings on the harness body.  The metal
is wrapped around the ring and tightened by using pliers.  The ears are
smaller than most and attached with another rib it at the top so they stay
flat against the back strap.  They do not flop to the side like some schools
with big floppy ears.  For example.  My previous guide was from GDF and I
hated their huge ears because the handle would flop off to the right side of
the dogs body and it allowed too much movement so it was harder to feel the
dog's movements, especially with a dog who had a very light to almost no
pull at all.  Pilot Dogs handles are straight.  They do not use any of the
other weird curved and other strange looking handles I have seen.  I know
some schools have been trying out some ergonomic handles and for years GDF
used the off set handles which I also hated so much that my trainer finally
gave me a straight one with Tara.  The Pilot handles are a bit shorter than
some schools use.  For example, I am 5 feet 3 inches tall and my little
golden is about 22 inches tall.  My Pilot handle is 15 inches long.  When
the trainer gave it to me I thought it would be too short.  However, I
quickly found that  I liked it because it lets you really feel what the dog
is doing, especially with a dog like Eva who is very gentle with an
extremely light pull.  The harness has a quick snap on the side so you don't
have to fool with the buckle when putting the harness on and off.  I think a
lot of the schools harness bodies have this type of clip.  The Pilot harness
does have two snaps across the chest strap where you can snap in a strip of
flat round prongs that discourage a dog that is pulling too hard.  For dogs
like Eva who do not pull, our harness has just a plain leather strip that
snaps into that place.  There is no reflective material on the Pilot harness
body or handle.  I have heard of some graduates who have applied reflective
tape over the vinyl sides of the handle.  The Pilot Dog leashes are also
different from any others I have seen.  They are almost a foot longer with a
snap and adjustable buckle that are used to form a muzzle if it is ever
necessary.  I don't like the leash so I ordered a guide dog style leash from
a pet supply company that sells service dog equipment.  I hope this gives
you an idea of what the Pilot Dog harness looks like.  It is interesting to
compare the equipment that the schools use.  I am also sure there are many
opinions of what trainers and graduates like and dislike when it comes to
the harnesses and handles.

Sandra and Eva