[NAGDU] crate

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Apr 22 16:50:31 UTC 2016

I also have the Sport Pet pop up crate.  I'm pretty sure I bought it at
Wal-Mart and it was something like $20 to $25.  They only have one or two
sizes though.  The larger size will work for a small to medium guide dog.  I
do use mine for Jetta even though she's tall.  When she stands up in it, the
top gets pushed up a bit, but since it's fabric it works okay.  She's quite
small when she curls up to sleep.   Monty is the same height, but heavier
built and he doesn't fit in it at all.

I totally agree with Rox though.  It's not meant for a dog who wants out of
it.  The mesh could be shredded or the zipper worked loose.  Jetta does work
the zipper open if she gets bored.  I used to use it in my office and went
to keeping her on leash under the desk after I realized that she was smarter
than the crate.  I still use it in hotels because she's used to sleeping in
a crate and prefers that arrangement.

They do make wire crates that fold up to about the size of a suitcase.  I've
never used that kind.  I imagine they would be pretty heavy though.  Maybe
there's a pet store that would rent a crate to you?  Or if you know someone
in the city where you are going that you could borrow one from?  I can't
think of anything else.  I'm pretty sure you've said before that a tie down
won't work for you.  I hope you can get it sorted out.

Best of luck,
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC