[NAGDU] Hip problems and new limitations

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 30 12:10:43 UTC 2016

Melissa:

I do know guide dogs who work on the right side.  I am not sure if they they
will be able to re-train your current dog to work on the right.  I have
heard of trainers who have tried it but, it does not always work.  I have
multiple sclerosis and my weakest side is my left.  As that arm continued to
get weaker a trainer tried to get my dog to work on  my right side.  In that
case, it was a complete failure.  She kept twisting around behind me to get
back to my left side.  She was not safe guiding on the right because she was
so confused.  There might be some dogs that will switch without any problems
so, it will be up to your school to decide what is best in your situation.
In my case, I just kept working my dogs on the left because I now have to
use a support cane in my right hand while working the dog in my left.  My
physical therapists were willing to work around the situation and allow me
to put the cane in whichever hand it had to be in to allow me to use my
guide dog as she was trained.  I think you might want to have a discussion
with your therapist and the trainers before making any major decisions.  It
is never fun to have to deal with physical limitations.  Best of luck to
you.

Sandra and Eva